Friday, March 25, 2011

Friend of Goats

The field trip for our Molecular Gastronomy class was to Greve in Chianti, where we visited a goat farm/cheese factory and a winery that also produces its own cured meats.

The goat farm was definitely the highlight of the day for everyone, as things quickly turned into an advanced petting zoo. And by advanced, I mean rounding first base, as I think some goat kissing even took place, and relationships bloomed.


I was a little nervous (but not nearly as much as the poor little things) as first, but I succeeded in petting one at last.




My favorite quote of the day came from one of my students, Maureen (above, embracing a goat dubbed "Nibbles", while appropriately-named goat nibbles on her hair and jacket):

Maureen (very profoundly): Now I know what I want to do with my life, guys!
Us: What, be a goat farmer?
Maureen: No, friend of goats!

We mostly spent the rest of the day basking in the sun, indulging ourselves on fresh cheese, organic wine, and home-made salami. Not a bad life, if you ask me.


We received a lovely send-off from some kids at a nearby school, who proudly counted all the way up to 12 in English for us. It sure was an overwhelming day of cuteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment