Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Beat LA!

I spent the last two weeks in Northern California doing a couple of fairs a week and hanging with the fam. We went to a Giant's game, my mom and I made Boeuf Bourguignon, I walked down memory lane at my high school's Homecoming, and I also talked to my AP English teacher's class about UCSD and study abroad.

I also did a lot of lounging. A lot can be said for lounging.

I started the drive down to SoCal on Sunday and I had one fair at UCSB before moving on to my least favorite city in the world, Los Angeles. My table at the USCB fair was positioned next to a man in a wheelchair promoting Costa Rica programs who I became friends and chatted with throughout the day. Half-way through the fair he was approached by a couple of students asking if he'd been on TV! He sheepishly replied that yes, he had...they'd seen him on a couple episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I thought it was so bizarre...the last place I would have expected to run into an actor, however small the role. Well, I haven't seen the show, so to me he was just the nice guy next table.

After the fair I had some major issues with box-carrying when my giant 20 lb. box fell off my carrier and split open. Thank God everyone in this business is so friendly and kind because I was about to abort this mission altogether and just go home before someone offered to carry the box on the roller.

Now, as I sit alone in my grungy motel with the sounds of the 405 wizzing outside my window and the leftover stench of my delivered pizza wafting through the poorly lit room, I'm touching base with all of you to remind myself that there are people out there in the world.

Just two more days and then I can leave L.A. and all will be right again in the world. Slowly but surely...San Diego here I come!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if you seemed old to the high school class? I wouldn't mind doing something like that for my English teacher. Mostly I'd just want to see her though!

    ReplyDelete