Saturday, September 24, 2011

Arezzo & Urbino


Last weekend we went to Arezzo and Urbino for an overnight art history field trip.  I'd been to both before, but it's always great to revisit towns and see them through a different lens.  You'll remember that Arezzo is where La Vita e' Bella was filmed, and it's also where Georgio Vasari (as in the Vasari Corridor over the Ponte Vecchio in Florence) was born.



Urbino continues to reign as my favorite hilltop town in northern Italy.  It is so quaint and picturesque, and there one can really imagine living under a duke in the 14th century.  I managed to get my hands on another plate of the irreverent strozzapreti, the pasta whose name means "strangle priests", got to see one of my favorite fresco series, about the life of St. John the Baptist by the Salinbeni brothers, and made it back up to a most beautiful vista of the town where I had been with Emily on the same trip one year ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment