Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Carry Me Home Tonight


The above photo brings me so much joy.  These are the old ladies from my favorite store, ANT, in Bologna, where I've purchased so many great items, many from Furla.  I see them every time I go and they're always eager to show off their most prized goods and suggest I buy some matronly wool skirt or other.  Now even if I can't shop there, at least I can remember these sweet and well-meaning ladies.

This weekend was Gay Pride in Bologna, but it was an extremely subdued event in deference to the losses of the region's recent earthquakes.  Still, there were lots of colorful costumes and a huge turnout, which in reality most saw as a great show of life in the wake of tragedy. 


Villa Serena, an outdoor discoteca just beyond the walls of the city, was our destination Saturday night.  Most of the gang was there, and we spent a good chunk of the evening dancing under the canopy to Italian classics like Tanti Auguri and 50 Special.




Sunday we went to a big forested park outside the city that even has a river running through it.  We brought a proper Calabrese picnic, complete with grilled eggplant and Calabrese sausage.



Before leaving, I swung by the UC study center to say hello to Peggy and Maiju, the staff from my year in Bologna, and update them on my next venture.  And of course as my final stop on the Bolognese tour, Sorbetteria Castiglione won the draw.  We may or may not have gone back for seconds in between playing Draw Something on Ale's iphone.


The goodbyes continue to add up, but if I learned anything from the last time I moved away from Italy, it's that I will in fact keep in touch with and see all these people again and again.  Everyone keeps talking about their next California vacation, and God knows I'll keep coming back.  Other than my real home, this is the only other place in the world that really comes close to feeling like it.  Arrivederci, Bologna.  Until we see each other again.

No comments:

Post a Comment