Friday, January 4, 2019

2018: Year in Review

I've seen many people talking about choosing one word for the year ahead to serve as their main theme or goal.  For example: Strength.  Or Calm.  Perhaps this is due to society's increasingly low attention spans, or maybe everyone (myself included) feels too busy to sit down or too overwhelmed even at the prospect of sitting down, reflecting, and setting goals.

I think everyone goes about reflecting and turning over a new leaf in their own way and in their own time.  This year I'm finding myself feeling adverse to the idea of new year's resolutions.  I'm not enjoying how forced it feels to jump on the commuter train of good health and even better intentions as of January 1.

Maybe it's because I spent a lot of 2018 accumulating and building better habits and routines.  Thanks to the influence of friends, I let go of the forced concept of "vegetarian" vs. "meat-eater" and instead just became a lot more comfortable with eating less meat.

I really kicked up my morning routine, committing myself to almost-daily meditations (I use Headspace), 5 minute gratitude journaling, and short pre-commute workouts when I can.  I'm trying to carve out time for learning, too, sometimes using DuoLingo to practice a new language (bonsoir mon ami!) or taking a few extra minutes to dive into a meditation book before rousing myself to my vanity.  At night, I'm journaling again and leaving ample time to unwind and read.

Fundamentally, what's helped me build these (still in progress) habits is small steps.  Picking something (my first something was meditation), and working to cement that habit.  Using triggers (same time every day, after brushing my teeth and before making my bed).  After that first step felt secured, I could tackle the next.

The inspirational and tactical mindfulness and self-help books I've read over the last couple years have been infinitely helpful as well.  Books like The Untethered Soul, Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard, and The Life‑Changing Magic of Tidying Up have all been very helpful to me.  Just naming three was hard: this learning and inspiration aspect has been paramount for me.

And so of course it may sound like a cop-out, the whole "I'm just being kind to myself and taking it one day at a time" thing, but I'm really proud of all those small steps I've taken over the last year.  And I want to keep building on them (because don't get me wrong, there is plenty I could do to improve myself), in my own time and as I feel ready.

Yet despite this resistance to formulate resolutions, I'm digging the concept of a one-word theme for 2019.  I've decided mine will be OPEN.  Open to new experiences and relationships, open to change, open to stepping outside of my comfort zone, open to building more good habits.  So OPEN is my new mantra.  Please send any and all "open" thoughts my way!

In 2018, I...

Started the year with good fortune, finding a $10 bill on NYC streets on New Year's Day
Kept it going, winning two raffles and our family's Thanksgiving $ game! 
Became a discussion "ring" leader for WILpower, a women's skill-building and networking community
Continued to foster cherished friendships and celebrate milestones big and small together
Took a hip hop dance course to learn (and promptly forget) Salt n Pepa's Shoop
Traveled by myself for the first time, in Japan
 Got bit in the bum by a deer
 Said "see ya later" to a couple favorite Boxers
Marked my 5th anniversary both living in San Francisco and working at Box
Continued my meditation journey, meditating almost every day and starting to really dive into readings about mindfulness, emotion, and spirituality
Around that, I started building myself a morning routine that also involves my gratitude journal and at-home workouts 
Celebrated lots of fun birthdays


Chased waterfalls and kicked back behind this one 
Took time to just be
 Visited new Box offices in London, Tokyo, New York, and Austin
 Watched France win the world cup and take to the streets in London
 Discovered what all this Belgian beer hype is about
Climbed to the top of the Milan duomo
 Felt like a badass riding on the back of a motorcycle through the streets of Milan
 Finally made it to Oia!
 Got to share Pigeon Point and other SF favorites with Letizia after six years since her previous visit!
Took a mindfulness course offered by Box
Welcomed several new babies into the world, including Rosalee, cousins Dylan and Briella, Austen, and Jaymason!
 Rosalee

 Dylan
 
 Austen
 Jaymason
Taught Rosalee how to blow bubbles
 Helped my dad recover from back surgery
 
Hired a very cute new sous chef
Enjoyed the family all together for Thanksgiving
Shared holiday quality time with my beautiful baby cousins
Bought my first-ever pair of wedged sneakers and I daresay I'm pulling them off
Shared lots of laughs with my team

Finished watching Friends from start to finish in order for the first time
Wriggled into lots more Emma snuggles
Helped pull off Box's first-ever community Impact Day
Witnessed the wonder that is CELINE for my birthday
 
Rang in the new year with friends & fireworks in Vegas


Travel
  1. New York, NY
  2. Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, and Hakone, Japan
  3. Upstate and New York, NY
  4. Chicago, IL
  5. London (England), Paris (France), Brussels and Bruge (Belgium), Milan and Lago Maggiore (Italy), and Santorini (Greece)
  6. Pescadero, CA
  7. Chapel Hill, NC
  8. Las Vegas, NV

Live Shows

Came back with a vengeance on concerts this year:
  1. Ja Rule andAshanti @ The Warfield
  2. James Bay @ The Fillmore
  3. Kendrick Lamar and Sza @ Oracle
  4. Taylor Swift @ Levi's
  5. Justin Timberlake @ SAP
  6. Big Boi @ Bill Graham (BoxWorks)
  7. Sam Smith @ SAP
  8. OTRII: Beyonce and Jay Z @ Levi's
  9. Trans-Siberian Orchestra @ Oracle
  10. Ingrid Michaelson @ Masonic
  11. Celine Dion @ Caesars Palace (Vegas)
Saw several unique shows, including:
  • Ellen @ SF Symphony Hall (same set as her Relatable Netflix special)
  • An evening with Sara Bareilles @ SHN, talking about Waitress
  • Sebastian Maniscalco's comedy show @ Masonic
  • Michael Jackson ONE (Vegas)
And took advantage of my SHN season tickets to see all their musicals and then some:
  1. The Color Purple
  2. School of Rock
  3. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I and II (London)
  4. Get On Your Feet
  5. Waitress
  6. Dear Evan Hansen
Here's my Spotify Wrapped:


Books

I have now completely come around on non-fiction.  Audio-books still feel life-changing; thanks to them I read 82 books this year, more than I ever have in one year before!  Here are a few of my favorites over 2018, both with Suite 108 Book Club and on my own.

Top 5 Fiction:
  1. Call Me By Your Name
  2. The Hate U Give
  3. Pachinko
  4. Where The Crawdads Sing
  5. Rebecca
Top 5 Non-fiction:
  1. Becoming
  2. Educated
  3. The Untethered Soul
  4. Dopesick
  5. White Fragility 

Became obsessed with:
  • #jvnskates: Jonathan Van Ness from Queer Eye, just a few months younger than me, is following his childhood passion and learning how to ice skate, shouting loudly from the (skating rink) rooftops that it's never too late as he goes for the gold and becomes BFFs with Michelle Kwan.  Following his journey on Instagram is one of my favorite inspirations.
  • thank u, next: Seriously the voice and song of a generation.  It's all about self love and learning on our individual journeys, with a huge dose of millennial short attention span and rom com nostalgia.  Also I find it is a perfect response to just about anything.  Ariana: thank u, next hit please!
  • Reading about meditation and spirituality.  Every author has new metaphors and perspectives that are slowly starting to seep in and create a whole new way of looking at and being in the world.  If you have any such books to recommend, I would be ever grateful. 
Wishing you all the best in 2019!  OPEN sesame! 

No comments:

Post a Comment