Sunday, July 4, 2010

I buy your daughter for 5 camels

This was the sunset off of Gio's balcony one night. I just had to capture it, and thankfully it came out pretty true to form! This next one is probably my favorite group shot, even though there's absolutely no Istanbul in the background:

Ha, I look even more bite-sized than usual. Here's us out dancing in CRAZY Taksim! The streets of this neighborhood were so tiny with lots of music, tables, and people filling what little space there was. There was an indescribable energy there that I'd love to return to someday.

Mmm Turkish pastries...I seem to be quite enthralled with mine:

Outside a waterfront mosque before embarking on our Bosphorus cruise:

Me and Charlotte cruising:


Gio's dad treated us to a truly fantastic dinner at a waterfront restaurant on the Bosphorus. The waiters were there to anticipate our every need! One guess at what we ate-FISH!


Our last day in Istanbul we went to the Chora Church, The Süleymaniye Mosque (it was closed for renovations but we could explore the cemetery) and then to the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar.

The Chora Church is a Byzantine Church turned Mosque turned museum that is filled with beautiful murals.

I'd never seen a Muslim cemetery before and it was really neat to see turbins atop the majestic Arabic script at the Süleymaniye Mosque.


The Grand Bazaar was quite the spectacle. There were booths upon booths of scarves, evil eyes, carpets, silver, antiques, and pottery. It was quite the labyrinth. We practiced our amazing bartering skills and came out with some awesome deals. Gio said that when she went with her mom a few months ago a couple shop workers offered her mom 5 camels to marry Gio. Unfortunately, we didn't receive any such offers. Maybe Shawn scared them off a bit.

Giovanna and Charlotte decided they wanted to be locals so they contemplated buying these vibrant and spacious genie pants. Shawn and I had to bite our tongues because the pants are so silly. I said they looked like Peacocks and the Turkish salesman said, "Exactly!" And then, they bought them.

I wish there had been a feasible way to bring back one of these gorgeous lamps!

Charlotte asked me if I felt like "Apoo" wearing this fez hat. I had not a clue what she was referring to until it finally hit me: Aladdin. Abu, Abu! What a hilarious slip up! Alas, I have conquered Istanbul!

No comments:

Post a Comment