Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This Is Bologna

As we say in Italy, "si mangia bene," which means "one eats well," in Bologna. And that's just what I did this last week. I went up to Bologna for Alessandro Gigliotti's graduation party, also to see Azzurra who had just returned from studying in Barcelona, and as it turned out, also to hang out with her mom and siblings who came up for a week to visit. Which means not only did I eat Bolognese but I also got my fair share of Calabrese. Hot diggity.

Azzurra and I went out to dinner the first night at one of my and Shawn's favorite restaurants on Via Urbana. We enjoyed tortelloni, gramigna, and a bottle of wine. What a welcome back!

Here's some pics from Ale's graduation party. The highlight of the night was when he started dancing Brazilian Capoeira with his friends. Another highlight was tasting Ale's secret recipe chocolate liqueur. I also enjoyed calling him "dottore," since he's a graduate now!




During the days the fam and I mostly wandered the city, did some shopping, and ate gelato. We also ate GIANT lunches at home. I probably gained a kilo, but believe you me, I enjoyed that kilo.





There was a natural foods market in Piazza Maggiore one day and one booth was filled with super unique types of chickens and roosters. I've never seen anything like them.


Here's what is widely regarded as the most beautiful piazza in Bologna, Santa Stefano, best seen at night:



I'm enjoying Siena, having made many new friends and having secured a (albeit temporary) job, but being back in Bologna just felt like home. I gotta get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment