Sunday, August 8, 2010

La Vita É Bella

I'm realizing that most of my posts have covered various jaunts and extra-Sienese adventures. You're probably wondering, doesn't she ever work? Has she made new friends? Is she enjoying her new medieval hilltop town? Well, the answer is yes to all of the above.


I've been working a lot lately since the director recently made me housing coordinator at the study center. It's still a short-term contract, but it's a lot more responsibility and a great new opportunity. It requires a ton of organization, so I'm loving it. My Italian is improving very fast now and I feel like I've finally caught up to and surpassed where I was at the end of studying abroad, which is very exciting! It also helps a ton in the office, as I have to coordinate with all the landlords and host families.

Last week in the office everyone but me was either sick or on vacation. So between that and my new housing project, I felt like I had become Mayor of Study-Center-Ville. It was thrilling to have been left in charge of everything that needed to be done and any problems that arose. Plus I got to chaperon two more Villa Dievole Winery trips and the cute tour guide gave me a free bottle of wine in exchange for helping him with his English. Outside of the study center, I've also been tutoring English to an Italian doctor twice weekly which offers a nice little extra income.

While Siena is a very small town and is often said to be lacking in extra-curricular activities, the summertime proves quite fun between the Siena Jazz concerts and the various contradas' Palio parties. Letizia and I have gone to a handful of the jazz concerts, most of which are located at the Enoteca at the Fortezza, a beautiful brick fortress on the outskirts of the center, and we have loved watching the international musicians collaborate at their jam sessions.





So far I've only been to one contrada party, called Nicchio. At the party, located in a grand garden, there are various areas for games, food, and drinks, as well as a dj and a dancefloor. Anna, the art history teacher, and I went Thursday night for dinner and ended up running into at least 20 of our students. It was a really fun night of eating, drinking, chatting, dancing to Waka Waka with cross-dressing teens, receiving roses from Australians, etc. Before I knew it I was falling into bed at 5am, not to wake up until 2:30pm!! Never in my life.










I must admit I'm starting to feel attached to Siena, darn it. I really need to stop adding new towns to my list of "homes". I feel attached to my coworkers, to my roommates, and to my new friends. I still believe "la cucina" (the kitchen, aka the cuisine) is better in Bologna, but let's be honest, it's still Italy and it's still delicious. I have unbelievably and completely taken to drinking Espresso and feel like a true Italian finally (although I draw the line at cigarettes, thank you!). I'm enjoying observing all the craziness that surrounds the Palio and the different contradas and I'm getting very excited to witness my first Palio on the 16th.



Mostly I'm just enjoying Italian life. And believe me, la vita e' bella. Like a dear friend once said, "Europe is rejuvenating." And that's exactly it--I feel content here, pure, as if I ran myself through a Britta Filter and came out a happy, confident woman who knows what she wants. Do I sounds like a broken record from the last time I was here? I hope so! I've made a self-declaration that I'm going to stay--in Siena, or even Bologna, or, well, anywhere in Italy, oh hell, anywhere in Europe--for at least the next year one way or another. (Ok, maybe what I want is still somewhat vague...but I'm getting there.) I'm publishing this declaration here in order to hold myself accountable to it! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment