Sunday, September 12, 2010

Villa-ville!

Fiesole, the charming little town tucked away in the hills of Florence in which I now reside, is chock full of fancy schmancy villas. Georgetown's is called Villa Le Balze and it's right next to the historic Medici Villa. I've also heard that Salvatore Ferragamo's villa is tucked up here as well. Looking down on the city of Florence you see a jaw-dropping panorama, and can even pick out the colossal duomo.

This semester the program is located in a hotel instead of the Villa because they're having to restructure most of the ceilings, yet I managed to snap a few photos on my first trip down to the villa because you have just got to see it to believe it. This is a shot of the back side, with the stairs hiding a fountain:

Here is the front balcony, looking out on the lovely Florence below:

The orchard is perched on the other side, here along with our resident professor, Dean Sullivan, and my fellow R.A., Emily.

The villa gardens are kept perfectly curated by two full-time gardeners who work tirelessly to maintain the original concept:

There is an outdoor corridor connecting the two buildings:

And the view from the expansive balcony of the second building takes my breath away every time:

I didn't take any pictures of the indoors because everything is in disarray, but hopefully one day I'll be able to share that part (in all its glory) with you all as well! More Fiesole pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment