Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Urge for Staying

As promised, what follows is a list of things that I love and will miss about living in Italy.  Don't turn green with envy, instead come visit me before next summer.  That way, next year we can wallow in our shared longings for Italy together.
  1. Espresso (and Italian coffee bar culture in general).  It's a wonderful experience to pop into a bar here, enjoy a quick espresso with a dash of cocoa powder at the counter, and be on your way in two minutes flat.
  2. Trains.  One of the few modes of transportation that doesn't make me motion sick, it's also such a classic and classy way to travel.  Connectivity of trains is one of the few things Italy has better-organized than the U.S.A.
  3. Maids, chefs, and gardeners.  Until I marry Justin Timberlake, I will never be as spoiled as I am living in this villa.
  4. Piazzas, strolling, and doing a "giro".  Italian towns were built quite sensibly, affording citizens wonderful large squares in which to meet, enjoy, shop, hang out, etc.  The city center is condensed, so one can walk around and stumble upon many amusing treats, such as street performances, church concerts, and artisanal markets.  And thanks to the ingenious word "giro", you can propose to meet friends with the intention of just wandering around and seeing what the town has to offer you.
  5. Italian food, duh.  Obvious, but not to be omitted.  I will particularly miss tortellini, gelato from Castiglione, Neapolitan pizza, cantaloupe, figs, fresh ricotta, cured meats, quality sausage, Sandra's spinach, Bolognese sauce, everything Alessandro and Azzurra bring back from Calabria, perfectly cooked potatoes...maybe I should throw all this out and start a gastronomic list instead...
  6. The lack of the term "PC".  You can pretty much say anything you want here and you don't risk getting scolded or sued for using an outrageously derogatory term like "stewardess".
  7. Proximity to other countries.  It takes less time for me to travel to another country here than another state at home, plus travel costs are much more reasonable.  Once I'm back in the states, any European travel will require a huge sum of money and accumulation of time off.
  8. Original, family-run establishments.  If I never see another Applebee's again it will be too soon.
  9. Bologna.  Despite my adoration for other cities, I don't think any has had the impact on me that Bologna has.  I feel a glow just thinking of that jewel of a place.
  10. Aperitivo.  Twelve steps above an American happy hour, aperitivo is a fun, economical occasion to hang out with friends, while enjoying a generous buffet included with the price of one drink.
  11. A room with a view.  I can see the entire panorama of Florence out my bedroom window: Duomo, stadium, Palazzo Vecchio, and river included.  It's incredible.  Along the same lines, I'll miss the vivid sunsets and the peaceful moments at dusk spent breathing in the fresh air and relishing the cityscape from the south terrace.
  12. Fashionable men.  Is it that hard to wear nice shoes, my American boys?  And maybe throw on a sweater or a scarf?  Just try it.  Please.
  13. Art.  I've half-taken four art history classes (I attend the field trips, but not the lectures).  I've finally come to an understanding and appreciation of art, and love learning more about how it ties into the history and culture, religion and politics of a country.  
  14. Unconventional convictions.  There are so many small things that Italians believe and follow relentlessly, especially in regards to food and health.  Shoes or slippers must always be worn indoors.  Olive oil will cure a hangover.  Wearing a scarf will prevent colds.  Never mix cheese and fish.  Air conditioning will be the death of you.  I've come to believe (almost) all of them.
  15. Eating simply, organically, locally, and seasonally.  In America, this is a movement.  In Italy, it just is.
  16. Speaking Italian.  I love Italian for its formality and English for its slang (I'm a walking contradiction).  I wish my Italian could improve as consistently in the states as it does here-it's a skill I can't afford to lose!  There's too many friends to keep in touch with.  Plus, let's admit it, it's sexy.
  17. Really, really ridiculously old stuff.  Time moves differently here, and I think it has to do with the historical timeline of the land and the people.  The street I live on was around long before Thomas Jefferson, and I still haven't wrapped my mind around Sicilian buildings existing from the 7th century BC.
  18. Working to live, not living to work.  Here, the most important things in life are close family and good food, priorities I can get on board with. 
  19. Lack of consumerism.  As opposed to my homeland of flashing billboards and Black Friday, in Italy there is less pressure to have the latest this or that.  It's a peaceful thing.
  20. Drinking in public.  Some laws in America are so strict-it's too bad responsible drinking isn't part of our culture.  Birra sulla spiaggia!  It never gets old.  
  21. Social acceptability of asking "what did you have for lunch" immediately after "how are you?".  Let's get straight to the good stuff, people.
  22. My students.  As much as I won't miss living in a (albeit glorified) dorm, I must say that my students are awesome people and I will miss getting to know more of them.  I'm continually impressed by the caliber and charm of my Hoyas.

No comments:

Post a Comment