Saturday, May 7, 2022

House of Orange: King's Day


On April 27 in the Netherlands, the people throw the king a huge birthday party.  Here is the king with his royal family on King's Day this year.  

You can't get over the queen's cape either, right?
Valentino.

The citizens (and eager tourists) wear orange to honor the House of Orange-Nassau, the current reigning house of the Netherlands, and the date of the holiday changes over time because it reflects the current monarch's actual birthday.  I learned that the last time it changed dates, many tourists showed up to celebrate on the old, wrong date - so the country threw a mini-party for them anyway.  

It's called fashion, look it up

From the very start of the day, there was a strong feeling of release, celebration, and conviviality.  This was the big COVID comeback and it was as if everyone was shouting from their hearts and the streets: we're alive, we're together, and there is always reason to rejoice!  The streets and canals began to fill with people as the day kicked into gear; almost everyone with a Heineken in hand: strolling, dancing, laughing, singing.  Entrepreneurs set up stands selling snacks, and more often, beer.  Impromptu DJ booths popped up and organic dance parties ensued.

Starting off nice and easy in the early afternoon

And newsflash!  Poffertjes - baby pancakes showered with powdered sugar and topped with a huge dollop of butter - are my favorite culinary discovery so far and I can thank King's Day for that (it's not like they give pancakes out to everyone to celebrate, it's just the first time I had them).


As I wandered the canals and took in the sights, my favorite spot was on a bridge along Prinsengracht, perhaps the most beautiful of the main canals.  It was basically a boat parade.  Some were small, with a few friends, others were huge party boats, many had their own music, and some had a shtick.  This part had the energy of a PRIDE parade, but was less organized, since anyone with a boat could be a float (pun and rhyme intended).


Penis man was a real crowd favorite

But my favorite of the day was Sax Man

One fascinating part about King's Day is that it appears to also be a gigantic rummage sale.  Residents take up a patch of sidewalk or the space outside their building, lay out a table or blanket, and sell their junk.  Like any rummage sale, I'm sure there were some treasures, but many people were selling old sneakers.  I really got a kick out of it.  Speaks to the capitalistic nature of the Dutch!  Take advantage of that increased foot traffic.  
 

Favorite shot of the day.
They might as well have been the king and queen!

It was so special to get to experience the celebration of King's Day.  I truly spent all my time out and about with a smile on my face.  It was a day of pure joy, and the people watching never disappointed.  I'm sure things devolved as the night wore on, but for my part, it was wonderful.  

I'll leave you with two strangers do-see-doing together in the street. 


The next day a local waiter asked me if I enjoyed partying for King's Day.  I told him I very much enjoyed watching other people party!  I did still have to come home in the afternoon and work - it's not a U.S. holiday, after all.  

And while we're speaking of the king, I must add that I saw him just a week after his birthday!  For Liberation Day, May 5, I stumbled upon a concert thrown just a few blocks from my apartment, along the Amstel.  I walked around and eventually found a spot to stand and listen (I couldn't really see).  For the finale, they sang "We'll Meet Again" (this 1939 song was new to me and so sweet) for at least 15 minutes.

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away


The concert ended, and as I walked with the crowd the few blocks towards my apartment, there was a large boat also floating away from the concert in our same direction.  There seemed to be a lot of buzz around this one boat and people were chasing it down and cheering.  I figured it was someone I never would have heard of, but eventually, since people were so excited, I asked a Dutch guy with a neck tattoo next to me if he knew who was on the boat.  He exclaimed, "The king!"  Soon, the boat docked in front of the opera house, right across the canal from my apartment, and the king disembarked and waved at us all as we cheered.  I couldn't believe the kismet of the moment!


Long live the king!

No comments:

Post a Comment