Monday, September 14, 2009

The Mid-Western Front

After all the crap everyone's been giving Iowa, I have to give America's Heartland some props. It's quite beautiful: clean, rustic, and exceedingly green around every corner. I'm currently in Coralville's lush (ha) Motel 6, with Alison, the girl who will be in charge of Germany programs. So far, I've seen a lot of tractors and yes, corn. The highlight so far has been watching the bright pink sunset fall over Iowa City while sitting on the steps of the Old Capital Building. This is probably the most boring post I've ever written but I got 3 hours of sleep last so please excuse my lack of creative juices.
Tomorrow's my first fair...I've spent some time trying to brush up on my programs but inevitably I will be asked asked questions tomorrow I can't answer. That's what brochures and websites are for, I suppose.

I leave you with this:

You know you're in Iowa when...
...you pass several consecutive giant wide load trucks with gigantic long silver blades that look like sharks and realize they're windmill blades. All I can say is that windmill could take Jack's Giant and cut him up into giant stew.
...you witness yellow checkered University of Iowa overalls at the store. I'm sorry, but WHEN is it ok to wear overalls? Especially yellow checkered ones?
...you pass a town called What Cheer. Is that as in "What Cheer!" like I feel the warmth and joyousness of Christmas year-round living here? Or is it filled with more attitude and angst as in "What Cheer?" like when can I get the hell out of this dull, dead-end town? Just some thoughts.


But really, I like Iowa.

1 comment:

  1. first, i like overalls, buy me some of those checkered ones.
    secondly, i love Sookie and Bill.
    love gav

    ReplyDelete