Friday, September 18, 2009

"We're not in Iowa anymore"

Iowa is full of contradictions. I think I already mentioned this but I want to give you another good example: Carlos O'Kelly's Mexican Cafe. Is he Mexican? Is he Irish? Are we having enchiladas, corn beef, or lattes? Who knows. Is it so hard to pick one thing?


On our 4.5 hour drive (I'm actually loving the driving, even though I don't have cruise control) from Ames, Iowa to Madison, WI we passed a billboard that said, "Hell was made for deadbeat moms." Guess Dante missed the memo.

We also passed an indoor water park. I guess Californians never have to worry about such water park hindrances as below zero temperatures.

Wisconsin's terrain is a bit different from Iowa. It's not nearly as flat, as we drove around lots of curves, up hills, and through gorges. We drove away from the setting sun, which cast such a vibrant orange glow on the land. I actually commented at one point that I felt like I was in Africa because of the orange glow. So, if you're in the market for a safari, you need not apply for a passport. Just head on over to Wisconsin.

We went to the Capitol area for dinner on State St. We found a delicious Middle Eastern restaurant with hearty food and a nice waiter where we could sit outside and people watch. Oh, the heinous outfits parading the streets! Short overalls, purple up-to-the-thigh suede boots, a silver sequined skirt...And that's just on a Thursday.

Today's fair isn't until evening so we're going to go explore the capitol some more and hopefully track down a cheese shop. Then tonight we're heading back across the Mississippi (which I simply love) on our way to Minneapolis which I hear great things about. Apparently the majority of buildings are connected by suspended corridors so that you never have to go outside when it's colder than a shoulder out there.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it may not be Europe but what an adventure and another person's dime. Enjoy Sweetheart, Love, Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I'm using my own versus Daniel's.

    ReplyDelete