Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Seasoned

Today I was at the University of Northern Iowa. The fair was way smaller so I had a lot of time to network and talk with other recruiters on the road. We're all going to the same fairs on the Iowa circuit which is kind of funny because we're staying in the same hotels and passing each other on the highway on the way to the next fair.

I felt like I was really getting into the swing of things today, and a couple more exhibitors were surprised to hear that I had recently graduated, that I was just an intern, and that this was only my second day on the job. This was so encouraging that I could barely contain my proud grin. My friend Jim from John Cabot has chastized me for (albeit respectfully) referring to him as seasoned (he's retired) but the fact that people believe I am is quite the complement.

This guys's actually another recruiter. ;)

Today I (re)met a woman who insisted we hadn't met before, who I finally connected back to the NAFSA conference in LA. It's amazing how often you trip over the same people on your trips. I think it's really awesome that this network is so small and tight that you can really make some good friends you get excited to see on your various travels. You really form mini travel families.

Tonight we went out to dinner with a big group of other exhibitors and had a great time relaxing and hanging out. I finally enjoyed a much-needed beer! I'm once again exhausted but exited for tomorrow to meet more people and recruit more students! I think I could actually get used to this (but ask me again in 3 weeks).

1 comment:

  1. Thing working out better than you thought? Glad you're meeting good people!

    ReplyDelete