Monday, November 22, 2010

B-O-L-O-G-N-A

Business trips to Bologna are perhaps the best kind. They consist of door to door transport and per diem meal allotments. For our "School's Matter" class field trip, we went on a site visit to a Maria Montesorri preschool to experience in a practical sense her novel educational methods.

Emily had never been to Bologna before so I spent the afternoon giving her the guided tour. Above is a shot of my favorite spot, of course: the farmer's market. The following pic features Emily with porticoes and a motorino in the background...now if only she were holding a bowl of tagliatelle al ragu' it would be the quintessential Bologna postcard:


Us in front of my favorite church, Santo Stefano:

And what would a visit to Bologna be without a trip to Sorbetteria Castiglione? I encouraged the students to go there and not surprisingly, all of them, as well as Emily, agreed that it was the best gelato they'd ever experienced. I spoke with the gelato lady about my history with Castiglione and she said she remembers me from three years ago, ha! This is also not surprising, as I was probably at Castiglione more frequently than the grocery store. As a result, she gave us a discount on Castiglione T-shirts. Score!

After Emily and the students headed back to Fiesole, I moved on to part II of my weekend, where I stayed at Azzu's and hung out with the old gang. Here's us chowing down on fajitas and Coronas:

One night some of Azzu and Gavi's university friends hosted a pancake night.

We ate nutella-shmeared pancakes and played Bullshit, which Ale now loves to teach everyone, for hours.


I've been so fortunate to get to go to Bologna so frequently this semester and I'll get one more trip in this year, when Charlotte, my Californian Bologna roommate, comes to visit!

1 comment:

  1. I love that market! Looks like you had a great time :) Love to see you with friends.

    ReplyDelete